Skip to main content

Can I apply for Deffered Action if I've lied about being a US Citizen?

Yorba Linda, CA |

My freshmen year of high school I marked "yes" as a US Citizen while I took my PSAT/NMSQT. Those are government tests. I didn't know at the time that I was not a citizen. However, the year after I put that I was not. Will this affect my defered action application?

+ Read More

Filed under: Immigration
Attorney answers 3


No. It shouldn't. There are many kids who, unknowingly for the most part made the same mistake. It's not the end of the world. You later corrected it.
Go ahead and apply for DACA. I would suggest getting some help filling out the forms, however.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko


Provisionally, the DACA may be a temporary solution, long term, you need to think about other alternatives.


Best to discuss this with a lawyer and not rely on a message board.


You may apply for the DACA, however I would retain a professional counsel to make appropriate corrections and explanations to your prior immture actions.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer