Skip to main content

Can I apply for DACA if I have one and only DUI and nothing else in my record? I've been a good sport except for this one time.

Petaluma, CA |

Recently, I have heard of people who had a DUI and applied for the permit and was granted to them. People that had a lot more going on than I did in terms of bad record. I feel like I deserve a chance, but I'm afraid to apply because I have a baby and I wouldn't want to get deported and have to leave her in hands of her father who is not a good influence for her. We are fighting for custody right now. I still would like to have a permit to be able to work and support her. I have several certificates of excellence from school that say I was a good student. And I can prove I'm a good person. Does anyone know if I have a chance? I know things have changed a bit since it got approved. When I went to court, I represented myself and plead guilty to VC23152(A) AND VC16028(A) thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

You need to speak with an attorney and perhaps a licensing attorney . Representing yourself for the DUI and no insurance was probably a mistake- but it may possible that DACA will be granted.




I know I plead guilty for the insurance, but I did have insurance. It was just not in the car when I got pulled over and I didn't turn it in. I was driving my dad's car. Could I still fix that?


You need to consult with immigration counsel. They are in the best position to evaluate your options and to position your case so as to maximize your chances of getting a permit.
Best of luck to you!


You need a criminal defense lawyer and an immigration lawyer.

The response above is not intended as legal advice. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Legal questions can only be fully answered through consultation with an attorney to whom you give full and accurate details. Anything you post here is not confidential and is not protected by the attorney-client relationship. It is highly recommended that you seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting.


You should consult with a trusted immigration attorney. Generally, you can still qualify for DACA relief even with a DUI conviction.

I would be happy to refer you to an immigration attorney in your area.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer