Skip to main content

Can I apply for citizenship while on probation?

New York, NY |
Attorney answers 5


Not likely: you need to demonstrate that you are a person of good moral character. While you are still on probation, your sentenced is not served. You may apply 5 years AFTER your sentenced is served. It is possible to apply earlier, but you need to show a strong record of rehabilitation.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova


No, you are not eligible for U.S. naturalization while you are on probation. You should wait until your probation has ended before you apply for naturalization. At that time, you will need to provide information to prove that you served your time and that you have been rehabilitated. Given your conviction, I'd recommend consulting with an immigration attorney before you apply for citizenship. - Disclaimer: This a general answer to your legal question. Unless you have a signed engagement letter with me, you should not consider this information to be legal advice.


I agree with my colleagues ... you can not demonstrate good moral character while on probation.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


Potentially, but it depends what it is for. If possible, wait until probation is finished, so that you can show documents you completed it. Make sure you have an immigration attorney to represent you.

Contact attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.


No. best to do so 5 years after probation and any alternative sentencing are completed.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer