Skip to main content

Can I apply for citizenship?

Elizabeth, NJ |

I'm a l pr since 1996 , I have 2 convictions , forgery got 2 yrs . probation , conspiracy to commit racketeering got 3 yrs . probation . Renew green card 2 yrs ago . Finished probation 7 years ago . All clean now . All this happen in 2001

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Since you have had a clean record for 5 years and you did not have problems renewing oyur green card, you should apply for citizenship. However, it is always in rhe discretion of the interviewing officer to grant or deny citizenship where you have been convicted of a crime involving moral turpitude.


You may or may not be able to apply for citizenship. You may be placed into removal proceedings for having been convicted of two crimes involving moral turpitude. You must look at your conviction records carefully. While you believe you were given probation only for each offense, if either case involved a jail term that was suspended in part or in whole, and such sentence was at least one year, then you have been convicted of an aggravated felony and are not eligible to naturalize and will certainly be placed into removal proceedings.

You really do need an experienced attorney to review your situation carefully before filing anything with USCIS.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.


Maybe. A review of your convictions is necessary. Just because they renewed your green card does not mean you won't have a problem. The reviews are more intense for naturalization because it is permanent and final. Consult with a lawyer.