Can I apply for California's 'Certificate of Rehabilitation', if I was out of state for briefly?

Sacramento, CA |

I left the state for a brief period to move my belongings back to California as well as attend Military training. Would that gap void my '5 year minimum'? I am currently residing in California now.

Best Answer

I don't believe so, unless your being outside the state to retrieve your belongings exceeded what was reasonably necessary to do so. If you changed your voter registration, obtained a driver's license outside of California, paid income taxes to another state during that time, paid for utilities while retrieving your belongings, etc., it was too long and would void the five year requirement.

As to military training, I believe California must honor this as an exception, as it is furtherance of our national security. Thank you for your service (as one vet to another).

Apply what is the worst that can happen, they tell you to wait another six months.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.