Can I apply for asylum again after 14 years I've been denied when I came down from haiti but I was only 2 and im on tps

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

I've came here from haiti when I was 2 my family signed up for asylum but got denied I've been Living here for sixteen years I didn't know anything about this because I was kid. I've got a tps card but it doesn't do anything for me except me not getting deported. I dont know nothing about haiti I thought was born here but I wasn't I really want to stay here anf bea ccitizen

If you can show that you are in danger of persecution you can try to apply. If you missed the one year filing deadline you may still be eligible for withholding of removal if you can show it is more likely than not that you will be persecuted in Haiti.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

A lot depends on a number of facts you did not disclose. You should talk to an immigration attorney in person.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

TPS for Haitians was extended in March of this year. If you re-applied by 5/2/2014, you are eligible for an EAD (work permit). Depending on your age and other factors, you may also be eligible for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. An asylum claim at this late date is probably not going to be approved unless you have a credible fear of prosecution and changed or extraordinary circumstances. If it is denied by USCIS, you will be put into removal proceedings. You have a complex case and should consult with an experienced immigration attorney to find out which options may be available to you.

The opinions expressed by Joanne Tinsley, Esq. are made based on a general understanding of the topic at hand and without the benefit of knowing all of the pertinent facts of your case. Her answers do not establish an attorney/client relationship.

I've came here when I was 2. Would the way of living be a reason of not going back because the earthquake destroyed my family's house.so it would be hard for me to live. What staus can I apply for that would help me get me help financially in school and stay in the united states I've have tps but after it expires in 2016 they can send us back I want something that can make me stay here for a while I want to be a us citizen

Joanne Tinsley

Joanne Tinsley

As I mentioned, depending on your age, criminal history and other factors, you may qualify for DACA, which would allow you to get a work permit and attend school. You should make an appointment to speak with an experienced immigration attorney to determine whether you qualify for DACA or other relief.

Ok thank you im 18