Skip to main content

Can I apply for a FAFSA if my deferred action for childhood arrivals gets approved?

Upper Darby, PA |

I am a high school graduate but I couldn't go to college cause I didn't have the money to pay out of my pocket. A lot of the scholarships required that I have a FAFSA on file. However, I couldn't apply for fafsa because I didn't have a social security number. I will be going for my biometrics for the deferred action for childhood arrivals tomorrow. Hopefully within a few months my case gets approved and I get a social security number. With that number, will I be able to apply for Federal Aid, Grants, Scholarships e.t.c. through FAFSA and continue to getting a college degree?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

I do not believe you are eligible to apply for federal aid with a DACA approval. You can certainly check with the federal government to confirm that. Private scholarships are a different issue, however, because whoever creates the scholarship determines the qualifications, and they may not require lawful permanent residence. You will have to check each scholarship.

Good luck!


It doesn't appear you currently qualify for Federal Aid. Private scholarships are a different story.


I agree with my colleagues. If you have further questions, you should contact a lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.