Skip to main content

Can I apply for a E3-dependent visa renewal and EAD renewal at the same time?

San Francisco, CA |

I'm currently on an E3-D visa expiring 1 May, and my EAD expires 31 May. Is it possible to apply for my EAD renewal now with my existing visa details, and then leave the country to get my E3-D renewed with my spouse?

I'm concerned there will be issues with the EAD being processed correctly if the visa renewal is happening at the same time (e.g. don't want to get a renewed EAD that has the expiry date of my existing visa of 1 May 2014 - had a problem with a previous EAD being issued with <6 months validity and USCIS wouldn't correct it. Or worse yet, be rejected because the visa renewal is being processed). I'd also like to avoid taking an extended leave of absence from work and waiting for 1-3 months for the EAD renewal after returning with the new visa.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


I think you are trying to misapply various immigration strategies without first meeting with a licensed counsel of record for a review of all your documents. In my opinion that is a recipe for a disaster. Retain a counsel of your choice.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professionally competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide a competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions expressed are general in nature, and may not apply to specific, factual or legal circumstances related to one's present legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in that State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive comprehensive legal assistance before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois