Skip to main content

Can I apply for a citizenship if I'm on probation?

Anoka, MN |
Attorney answers 3


Answered less than a minute ago. No. You cannot.

To be eligible for naturalization you must prove to be a person of "good moral character" for the statutory period. Someone still under any sort of probation does not qualify.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.



J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


No, if you are on probation, your application for citizenship will be denied. You should wait to apply until after your probation ends and also consult with an immigration attorney that can help you gather evidence to show that you have "reformed" when you submit your N-400. - Disclaimer: This a general answer to your legal question. Unless you have a signed engagement letter with me, you should not consider this information to be legal advice.