Skip to main content

Can I appeal a settlement in a divorce case?

New York, NY |

Can I appeal a settlement in a divorce case? I agreed to give her the "'Get" only because the judge told my lawyer that if I will not he will have me arrested. Can I appeal a higher court based on the fact that I was forced to give the "Get"?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


You can't appeal a settlement. You can make a motion to re-open or set aside a settlement... but the circumstances would have to be very unusual (which a threat to have you arrested would be - if it can be proved.)

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.


I find it hard to believe a judge made that threat. Unless you heard it yourself I'd be suspicious.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.



My lawyer told me that the judge told him that if I will not sign the settlement where I require to provide my spouse with the "get", he will issue a court order requiring me to provide her with the "Get" and if I will not do so I will be found in contempt of a court order and end up in jail. I had no choice but signing it. Now I want to modify the settlement.


No. You shouldn't have given a get.

Good luck.



I did not signed the get yet. I signed the settlement where I agreed to remove all barriers. I want to either vacate or set a side. Would it still be possible? Thank you


In short, no - you can only file a motion to vacate the settlement. For a full assessment, schedule a consultation with a NYC Divorce attorney.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.


Judges do threaten litigants and/or their attorneys - seek help from a qualified NY divorce attorney.

The Kepanis Law Firm, P.C. can be reached at (888)926-8066 during regular business hours or at at any time. This answer is provided under the “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".


No, you can't appeal a settlement. On the other hand, if you meet certain criteria (such as fraud, duress, overreaching or if the Agreement is unconscionable) you may be able to set aside and vacate the settlement. This is, however, difficult to do. Moreover, unless there is a record of the judge's threat it is unlikely that another court will give credence to this argument. Frankly, your issue may be with your attorney.


As a general rule, you must have been "grieved" in order to file an appeal. Here, you consented to the settlement. As a consequence, you are not "grieved."

However, that does not slam the door on your options. As many of my collegues have posted, you may be able to set aside the Stipulation. In the event you wish to proceed with setting aside the Stipulation, it will be your burden to prove the basis of the claim (i.e. fraud, duress, unconscionability, etc). Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer