Skip to main content

Can I apeal a child suppirt order?

Philadelphia, PA |

I have to pay child support. I want to ask how many days do I have to submitte the apeal to the superior court after the appeal was filed?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes, you may appeal (it is spelled 'appeal' not 'apeal') a child support order. In Minnesota the Order for Child Support itself will provide a notice to you on your right to appeal, including time deadlines: The notice oftentimes is in bold print, with underlinings, to call your attention to the urgency of the matter. Definitely you should immediately phone a private attorney for assistance to appeal a court Order of any sort. If legal expense is an issue, some attorneys will help you in a 'limited scope' manner (also known as 'unbundled legal services') to provide you with counsel and advice while helping you to keep your legal costs low. Also, some attorneys will consider your finances in legal fee and offer a sliding scale fee arrangement of some sort. In my own legal practice, I do assist clients in these various manners. Again: Do not delay in seeking help, because by delay you may irrevocably lose certain legal rights. All the best.


You have 20 days from the date listed on the order. The appeal deadline date should be stated on the order.

My response is based solely on the limited information contained in the question. It is not meant to substitute your attorney's advice.


Depending on who entered the order (i.e. a Master or a Judge) you might not need to appeal to the Superior Court. If the Order was a Master’s determination, you can file exceptions and an appeal de novo to that Order and be heard by a Judge. If, however, the support order was a final order of the Court of Common Pleas, then you may file an appeal to the Superior Court. Note, however, an award of support, once in effect, may be modified via petition at any time, provided that the petitioning party demonstrates a material and substantial change in their circumstances warranting a modification. See 23 Pa.C.S. § 4352(a); see also Pa.R.C.P. 1910.19

Stew Crawford, Jr., Esq.

Crawford Law Firm
A Full Service Law Firm Serving Pennsylvania & New Jersey

Philadelphia Area Office
223 North Monroe Street
Media, Pennsylvania 19063


All information provided in this comment is intended for informational purposes only and does not, by itself, create an attorney client relationship. If you wish to consult with an attorney, or have any questions concerning this comment, please feel free to contact our offices through any of the above contact sources.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer