Skip to main content

Can I anonymously report a restaurant that pays their employees under the table?

Ferndale, CA |

I worked at a restaurant for 4 months and our bosses did not give us pay checks or any legal documents what so ever. All we were given was cash at the end of the day. We would wash dishes and handle food. Long story short they were very unfair and screwy bosses and I do not work there anymore. If I were to report them (who would I even report to?) could I still remain anonymous? Also It might be good to add that I am a minor (16)

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you were terminated contact a local labor law/employment attorney - many offer free consultations

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.


What you describe is blatant California labor code violations. It likely means that you are owed compensation and that your employer is liable for penalties. It would be wise to consult an employment attorney so you can do a deep dive into your specific facts.

Most employment attorneys who take on these type of cases offer free consultations specifically to analyze the facts in the case for legal issues. You would benefit by engaging an employment attorney on this matter. Many are here on this forum or you can go to where most of us are a member.

Good luck to you.

Any advice, suggestions, answers to questions, directions, either implied or express, are not binding, do not create an Attorney-Client relationship, are not solicitations but merely a generalized response or comment. The facts of every case is unique and requires carefully thought out investigation and research exclusively available during a one-on-one true Attorney-Client consultation including a signed fee agreement.


Yes! You can call the Labor Commissioner's office in your local area. First, file a claim for unpaid wages. Then, discuss the practices of the restaurant. I believe that you can tip off the Labor Commissionr's office anonymously, but, if you file a claim obviously the employer will know that you are likely the one who told the Labor Commissioner about their ongoing violations.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer or select it as Best Answer. It’s easy and appreciated. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, does not create an attorney/client relationship and does not create a right to continuing email exchanges.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer