Skip to main content

Can I adopt my sister who is an American citizen ? And be legal with her in USA ? I am not an American citizen ..

Flushing, NY |

My father is also an American citizen but his is old and not in good health condition I am 40 years old my sister is under age

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2



Good luck.



Is that an answer? My sister is 5 years old sir!! And my father has cancer !!! I have to stay here until he is gone to The Lord !! Then I will take my sister with me in France !! But until then I have to make sure that I will not be illegal !!

Peter Christopher Lomtevas

Peter Christopher Lomtevas


Under New York law, you can file a guardianship petition in family court. A guardianship will not adjust your status but you are describing a hardship situation which should matter in an immigration court. You'll need to file the appropriate application with the DHS. I wouldn't file anything without the advice and guidance of an attorney.



If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer