Skip to main content

Can I act pro se in subpoena if I have an attorney of file?

Miami, FL |

To prepare certain documents I don't need an attorney. Attorneys fees are not acceptable. So, can I act pro se in certain parts of the case: subpoena, standard motions, etc.?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Not if you have an attorney of record or you expect to hire an attorney at some point in the case.

FWIW, pro se litigants almost always blow their own cases, thinking they know what they are doing-- your question a good case in point.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.


It's been my experience that the people who say they don't need an attorney are the people who most need an attorney. This not the way to save a few dollars, as it may cost you a lot more in the long run. If the case is important to you, hire an attorney. If you don't like the current attorney's fees, try to find one with more modest fees. Good luck!

I hope you found my answer helpful. If you did, please click "helpful" and/or "best answer," because doing so helps my Avvo rating. Please also understand that answering this question doesn't make me your lawyer, and my answer is not even an "initial consultation" with me. In answering your question(s), I am merely giving you VERY GENERAL ADVICE based upon your VERY GENERAL QUESTION. If I indicated that you need to see a lawyer personally, then PLEASE DO SO. Good luck to you!


You need to discuss this with your attorney. It may be fine or it may be something your attorney does not want you to do with good reason.

The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.