Skip to main content

Can I lock my ex-husband out of our house?

Indianapolis, IN |

Divorce final 08/29/2009, I'm still living in the house and paying ALL the bills, even the ones in both our names. House is for sale and proceeds to be split upon sale. Ex-husband lives in another city, still has keys to house and lets himself in unexpectedly. Can I have the locks changed so he no longer has access to the house?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You need to give him notice before changing the locks etc.

In some states, it is illegal to change the locks and evict a tenant without notice. I know you are divorced so...
After giving him notice, and if he does not comply by stayibg away, you can then get a court order. 7 days to 2 weeks notice should suffice.

Also if he is a pain, explain to the police that you are no longer married to him and that he is now merely an unwanted visitor?

If an unwanted visitor breaks into your place and steals your things, you CAN make an official complaint to the police and they CANNOT refuse to take it.

Seek legal advice in your locale.Good luck to you.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an atttorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer