Skip to main content

Can I, as a conservator, hire an attorney to represent me out of the wards assets? WIsconsin.

Durand, WI |

I was appointed conservator. Can I hire an attorney to represent me out of the wards assets?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3





Simple enough. Thanks.


I am a NY attorney and cannot advise you as to your state's laws, but I can provide certain general information that may be helpful to you. First, you do not indicate why, precisely, you need representation. The answer to your question may turn on the answer to that question. If, for example, you were sued in your capacity as conservator, the answer may be in the affirmative.

In NY, where I practice, the powers of the conservator (in NY we now use the term "guardian," rather than "conservator") are specifically set forth in the judgment appointing the guardian. In many cases, the judgment permits the guardian to engage counsel. Even when that is permitted, however, court approval is usually required to actually make payment to an attorney.

I imagine that you were represented by counsel in the conservatorship proceeding. If that is the case, you would do well to direct your inquiries to the attorney who represented you in that proceeding.

Good luck to you.

Michael S. Haber is a New York attorney. As such, his responses to posted inquiries, such as the one above, are limited to his understanding of law in the jurisdiction in which he practices and not to any other jurisdiction. In addition, no response to any posted inquiry should be deemed to constitute legal advice, nor to constitute the existence of an attorney/client or other contractual or fiduciary relationship, inasmuch as rendering legal advice involves the ability of the attorney to ask appropriate questions of the person seeking such advice and to thus gather appropriate information. In addition, an attorney/client relationship is formed only by specific agreement. The purpose of this answer is to provide the questioner with general information, not to outline specific legal rights and remedies.


I disagree with my colleague. I know of no state that requires you to pay for your own attorney, as Conservator. You are entitled to legal representation, and you are not required to pay for this out of your own pocket. Furthermore, you have potential personal liability if you do something wrong, acting as conservator, so you really NEED to have a lawyer represent you. Seek advice from a probate attorney in your area. If you do not know of one, you can use the "find a lawyer" link below.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

Alexander Mchenry Memmen

Alexander Mchenry Memmen


I think it depens what he is asking. If he means to hire an attorney to represent him as conservator, that's one thing. If he means to pay for an attorney for other matters, that's another.

James P. Frederick

James P. Frederick


I agree with you. If it is not related to the conservatorship, then asker has no right to use the ward's funds for that purpose.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer