Skip to main content

Can hob visa holder have equity in the company they work for ?

Arlington, VA |

I have an 1 with my company and they are willing to give me some equity in the company ( on top of my salary ) , perhaps 20 - 30s ownership , is that allowed ? Thanks .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


"Some" ownership interest is OK ... but 30% is getting a bit 'close' to being a problem. If these are non-voting shares, it gets better.

Talk to the immigration lawyer that did your H-1B papers.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


I agree with Attorney Capriotti.


I agree with my colleague. You should consult an experienced immigration attorney for this matter. You may schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer in your area, my firm is handling these matters in New York. If you would like free legal updates on these immigration issues you may sign up for our newsletter at .

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer