Skip to main content

Can H4 student (Canadian) change to J1 before summer time for his intern and change back to H4 after summer time

San Mateo, CA |

H4 student (Canadian citizen) change to J1 during summer time for his intern, then change back to H4 after summer time, so that he still qualify as residency for tuition purpose.
Thank you so much for your time!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Change back-and-forth by leaving the US each time? Yes

Keep residency??????? Talk to the people at the school ... they call the shots in that regard.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


I agree with Attorney Capriotti. You need to be having a conversation with school officials. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.