Skip to main content

Can H1B holder do personal business aside his full time job?

San Diego, CA |

Can he receive income from the personal business. and file personal income tax return regarding the income and cost related? if he has two other business partners who also hold H1B visa, how can they file personal income tax returns regarding this business without set up any LLC or C company?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


No. An H-1B can only work, whether paid or unpaid, for the H-1B employer.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Only if contemporaneous employment is approved. At the same time, you can have dividends.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


The Federal Courts are divided about this. Fortunately, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals which has jurisdiction over California says "yes".

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.



Thank you Carl! Does that mean H1B holder can do side business and have income from it? Is there any condition associate with this? Thank you!

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman


Yes. Please see