Skip to main content

Can Foreign investors be members of an LLC in all states or just specific ones? Thank you

Mason, OH |

My partners and I are planning on starting an LLC to do business in more than one state. I read that Nevada allows out of state/country investors to create an LLC and operate. Is my info correct and what type of licenses/filings would I need to fill.

Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Your question is not clear. In theory you can form a company in every state. However, you do not need to form a company in each state (at least at the beginning). You pick our jurisdiction (the most versatile) for tax or corporate reasons and then you start conducting business. If you conduct business in another jurisdiction then you need to register your company as a foreign company doing business in that other jurisdiction. Something very common. At the beginning, you need to be guided by an attorney. That is our job. Avoid any form of self help please, because you will render your life miserable and most importantly you will spend more money later when it will come to ask an attorney to fix your mess.

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.


Short answer: foreign investors can generally be members of an LLC in any state.

Real answer: you will need to figure out all kinds of practical and legal issues surrounding business formation and operation. You need to think of everything from getting a bank account to structuring your cross-border tax liability.

You should at least get a couple consultations from a couple lawyers.

Total Mobility Law is an international law firm that lets companies do global business with the knowledge and confidence they need to comply in any country. Our answers on this site do not constitute legal advice, nor do they establish an attorney-client relationship. The only thing that can do that is a signed Engagement Letter and Fee Agreement, which you can get by contacting us through