Skip to main content

Can father ask for his Termination of Parental Rights from a Child is Special Needs because of financial expense ?

New York, NY |

The father abandoned the mother during pregnancy and abandoned the child after the birth of the child the child is special needs he 4 1/2 years old starting school and has educational, child care and medical expense. I have a medical conditions where I need surgery for Brain tumor. My first court date is in three weeks. The father has hiding with different address for 4 years how do I prove to the court. The father has a new job working for the U.S. State Government in Washington D.C. his income is very high but I don't know tricks he is going to play.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The short answer is no, the father cannot terminate his own parental rights. If he works for the government, then he's a W-2 employment, and the basic child support will be an easy calculation (17% of his adjusted gross income). The father will also be obligated to pay his share of unreimbursed medical, educational & child care expenses. You're best advised to schedule a consultation with a NYC Child Support attorney for a full assessment.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.


No. If this was the case, many "deadbeat dads" across the United States would do this to get out of paying child support. Allowing it would be against public policy.

Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice. You should consult a lawyer regarding any specific legal matter.


No, he cannot just terminate his own parental rights. On a somewhat related note to the question presented, you should make sure that you have an estate plan in order so that, God forbid, something happens during your surgery, your wishes and the best interest of your child will be carried out since it seems that the father will again be absent. Good luck with everything.

McGrath Law Firm, PLLC Buffalo, NY Attorney-Client Relationship - The materials provided on this website are intended for informational purposes only. These materials are not intended and should not be interpreted or considered legal advice. The information provided by this site is not an invitation to an attorney-client relationship. A reader of this site should not rely on the information provided here for any purpose. Readers are reminded to always seek legal advice from an attorney duly licensed in an appropriate jurisdiction. Additionally, any communication via e-mail, phone, or other form, are not intended to solicit or create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship between this firm and any third party. Legal Warranty - This website provides general information and may not reflect all current legal developments. You should not take action based on the information provided by this website. The law is ever changing, and facts and circumstances are critical to assessing a legal claim; therefore, information provided by this site may not be applicable to your particular situation, and should not be perceived as legal advice or opinion.