Skip to main content

Can Family Based Immigrants sponsor themselves? If so, how can they fill out I-864 form and what proofs they need to provide.

Los Angeles, CA |

I am a U.S citizen, and currently a nursing student. My mother and father are planning to immigrate to the U.S. Since I am a student, I am not able to sponsor them but they are willing to sponsor themselves by providing financial support documents/proofs like property ownership (two paid-off houses), cars, bank statements, and etc. Also, I am wondering if it is possible that they open an escrow account for themselves and deposit for instance $50k or $100k into the account as a financial support? Also, my father has had his own business for 20-30 years now and might be able to provide proof of ongoing income, as well. Any professional and legal advice is much appreciated!

I guess my explanations are a little confusing. I will definitely fill out and sign the Affidavit of Support documents for my parents. I can take all the responsibilities except the financial matters because of my insufficient income. I can provide them with room and board too, if that matters. But my question is, can they sign the affidavit of support as co-sponsors? P.S. My mom came to visit me last year and stayed for 6 months. She had presented the aforementioned financial support documents to sponsor herself, if that makes any difference. Thank you all for your inputs.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You need to talk with an immigration attorney who can review and explain what your and your parents options are. Just so you know, there are options. There are some legal conflicts here so this forum is not appropriate to answer the various aspects of your questions.


Under the facts you have presented they cannot sponsor themselves. You, as the petitioner, need to file an affidavit of support regardless of your situation. You will also need a co-sponsor.


No. Family based immigrants can NEVER sponsor themselves. You the sponsor will need to file an Affidavit of Support on their behalf and if you don't meet the financial requirements to qualify, you must then add a co-sponsor.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Regardless of your income you have to fill out affidavit of support. Your parents as intending immigrants can show assets in order to be able to meet income requirements. Seek a formal legal advice from an immigration attorney to resolve this issue.


I agree with my colleagues.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer