Skip to main content

Can f-1 students start their own business as an IBO of Amway?

Rochester, MI |

I am University student from India. I joined Amway through my friend couple of month ago. I provided all the information including SSN while registering. Is it legal or illegal to do Amway business? International students are not allowed to work off the campus. What if I quit that business? Will I be in trouble?There is 90 day trial period. What if I quit this business within 90 days? I am very new to this business. They convinced me that it is 100 % legal for international students. Will I still be in trouble if I quit this business? I will immediately get unregistered. Give me the best solution.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


You have to ask the question to Amway. If you signed a contract, you need to read the contract as well.

This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. Consult with a qualified attorney before making any legal decisions. Gen Kimura, (832) 247-6932.


It is best not to get involved in such pyramid schemes when still in a non- Immigrant status.
If and when you get a green card in the future the you can do as you please. This sort of activity, peddling Amway products to your friends and classmates is not advisable at this time, for it will be construed as an activity incompatible with and in violation of your F-1 status. Ask your school's DSO and watch his/her reaction.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Alena Shautsova

Alena Shautsova


However Amway is not a pyramid scheme,


This looks like a question that was asked before.

F-1 students can not work ... unless they have a permit. Don't do it.

Plus as Mr. Behar noted, Pyramid 'schemes' are very risky.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


Each non immigrant visa comes with a privileges. F-1 Student Visa, for example, gives the holder the privilege to study in the United States. Maintain your status by going to school, taking classes and test; and avoid getting into scenarios which could remotely be termed as violations - doing business (irrespective of the volume of transactions.) USCIS benefits are discretionary. CO(s) does not need to state any reason to deny a benefit to a non immigrant.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.


I agree with everything that has been said here and I just wish to add that when you ask Amway, keep in mind that their motives are to keep you in the scheme, not to advise you as to what is best for your long-term immigration status and goals. That being said, you probably do need to look at any contract you've signed to see how you can exit that agreement with minimal damage.

With that being said, no one on this site can simply give you the best solution. If you cannot sort it out yourself, you can always have an attorney look over the contract for you.

Heather L. Garvock Attorney Ellis Porter, PLC 2701 Troy Center Dr., 410 Troy, MI 48084 Phone: 248-519-9900 Fax: 248-519-9901 Email: For more information about current issues and developments in immigration law, visit my blog: The information I provide on my blog and Avvo is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney client relationship.


Are you here in the US to study or to engage in business activity? If you want to become a businessman probably you do not need to study. Then your visa must change. Best

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.