Skip to main content

Can ex husband make education decisions for our 13 year old with out my knowledge or consent if I have legal custody

New York, NY |
Attorney answers 3


The short answer is no. What decision did he make? If he owes back support, you should consider filing a violation petition. But at the least, write him a letter/e-mail clearly stating he is not to make such decisions without your consent. That said, I encourage you to address further questions or concerns at a consultation with a NYC Child Custody attorney.

* If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.


Well, if ex-husband is withholding child support you can bring a violation or contempt proceeding in Family Court if warranted.

This sounds like a similar question from someone else in New York asked within the past several days about a non-custodial parent with joint legal custody hiring a tutor without your knowledge, with the additional tidbit that your "ex is bipolar".

That question was asked and answered by several attorneys.

I guess if you have sole legal authority over educational decisions and not joint legal custody, if you're the person who was objecting to your ex hiring a tutor to assist your child, assuming he was going to pay for the tutor, what the basis of your objection is? Why do you leave out the detail here that hiring a tutor is an "education decision"? What is the basis of your objection to this decision? It would sound like it was in the best interests of the child if the child is struggling with school or some subject in school.

It sounds like you are a litigious type of person, so, certainly on the support part you can prevail in family court, but as to the struggle about who gets to make "education decisions", I would be careful what you wish for, because it sounds to me like hiring a tutor is in the best interests of a child, unless you think the point is to humiliate or harm the child (or just like to call the shots, irrespective of the effect on the child's welfare)?

I apologize if you are not the same person who asked a very similar question two days ago with some significant details omitted here.

This answer is provided under the “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".


Based upon what you say, he cannot make these decisions, must pay you child support arrears, and if he is off his medications, perhaps explaining his behavior, you might be able to address that. For child support arrears, file a petition in Family Court, support for the arrears. For all the rest, file a separate petition in family court for that relief.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer