Skip to main content

Can estranged relationship cause any issue for naturalization after 5yrs for a legal green card holder?

Madison, NJ |

Can estranged relationship cause any issue for naturalization after 5yrs who is legally working in USA with a legally obtained green card? Living alone in USA. 1. Married, green card through EB1 not marriage 2. Wife in another country, wife never visited USA (no SSN, ITIN) Any precaution? thanks & regards

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

Under the facts you describe I do not see a problem.

973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.


If I hear you right your question is that if you are separated from your wife, will that be an impediment in naturalization? Answer: No unless the laws abroad require you to pay spousal/ child support and you have not honored it.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.


Everything can cause an issue, but absent fraud, it is unlikely on your facts.


I do not think so.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Everything gets considered. Having an estranged wife is not a problem, unless you obtained your green card through marriage in the US while you were still married to someone in another country. Often when someone asks a question like this there is more to the story and reason for concern. However, sometimes there is not. Do yourself a favor and speak with a lawyer rather than guess.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer