Skip to main content

Can DYFS or their employees be criminally charged for not responding to a call and a child getting permanently hurt as a result?

Hillsborough, NJ |

The mother of my daughter has been drinking and driving with my 7 year old daughter in Hillsborough NJ for years now. Since the Hillsborough police refuse to charge her, I contacted DYFS the last time I knew. I reported to DYFS about bruises on my daughter and told them for the 10th time about my daughter having no child seat and her mother deriving Drunk. They again failed to respond and my daughter was in another car accident in Hillsborough NJ, only now has a learning disability. She had 2 black eyes and a bloody nose at the scene yet the only charge given was Carless Driving By HTPD. Since DYFS failed to respond....AGAIN, can they be charged criminally for my daughters damages? I have shared custody, but her mother is still the Primary Residential parent by committing PURGERY in cou

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Answer: This is a complex situation with particular legal requirements, but it is likely that the Case Workers and/or the Division can be held civilly liable if there is sufficient proof.

Explanation: As this is a State Agency and State Employees, there are very strict laws and regulations which you as a Plaintiff must follow in order to pursue a claim. The State, through these strict statutes and regulations has tried to insulate itself from civil liability. If you don't follow the proper procedures, your claim will fail. I highly recommend speaking with a personal injury attorney. If you have further information or additional questions, please feel free to promptly contact my office as the deadline to make the claim may be fast approaching.

Please be advised that the information provided in this answer is for general informational purposes only. While we strive to ensure that the information is accurate, without knowledge of all of the facts of a particular matter, this Firm's information and answers are not guaranteed. Further, the Law Firm's answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you need further advice or wish to retain our Firm, please contact us by e-mail or phone.


As stated in a similar question, you need to speak,ASAP , with a NJ personal injury attorney.



See my response to your other question. Same deal applies here.

Don't sit on this.

The foregoing is not legal advice, and nothing in the foregoing shall be deemed to create an attorney client relationship. If you feel you need to speak with an attorney regarding your issue, it is recommended that you contact an attorney with expertise in your area of inquiry. The information related above is purely for informational purposes, and should not be acted upon without speaking with qualified counsel familiar with you specific situation and the laws related thereto.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer