Can Disney allow girls to wear thong swim suits at their water parks but not guys?

Sarasota, FL |

I was at Disney's Typhoon Lagoon water park in January. There were dozens of girls wearing thong swim suits that day so I decided to wear one too. I'm a guy. The park manager told me I had to cover. I asked if he was going to tell the girls to cover too. The manager said that's not of my concern and that he writes the rules and that there's a difference between a girl wearing a thong vs. a guy. The same thing happened to me at Blizzard Beach too a month earlier. After subsequent visits to their water parks it's obvious that Disney park managers never ask girls wearing thongs to cover, only guys. I think this is a violation of 760.08 of Florida's civil rights code in that the managers are extending a privilege based on gender. Do I have a sound basis for a discrimination lawsuit?

I'm going to edit the practice area of your post to "Discrimination" so that it reaches attorneys who practice in that area.

Ms. Berjis is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship.

All I can say is that many laws can be applied differently depending on the circumstances. Men are allowed to go shirtless while women are not. Women are allowed to wear things while men are not. Disney is private property and they get to make the rules just so long as they are not breaking any laws. Discrimination? Maybe, but are you willing to pay a lawyer to take your case to a jury?

I completely agree with the first response. You should speak to a civil rights attorney. Your damages? Not quite a Rosa Parks situation. Good luck with your pursuit.

Any response does not create an attorney - client relationship without both parties fully signing a representation agreement.