Skip to main content


Alhambra, CA |

Plaintiff got severy injured at L4 and L5 lumbar disks on Def's property during a slip and fall accident. As a result, plaintiff had to at first undergo, epidurial injections with no result. Then PL underwent a Stryker DeKompressor Percutaneous Discectomy procedure at L4 with very little positive results, Then PL underwent a very painful procedure called a Lumbar Discogram which revealed a severe linear tear of disk L5. With no choice, PL underwent FUSION LUMBAR DISK REPLACEMENT SURGERY, wherein TWO 4 inch incisions were done. One in the back and another in the belly area. Both of these incisions have left very ugly scarring. The PL is a young female.. a Complaint, was filed for negligence prem. liability. Can it be amended to add a claim for disfigurement ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


Any damage claim for "disfigurement" would be subsumed in the negligence and premises liability causes of action. Disfigurement would be part of the damages resulting from the injury. There is no necessity to amend the complaint. However, you may wish to review your discovery responses and supplement those if necessary.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


Any qualified personal injury lawyer would include this as part of your claim.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


Yes and it should be included with your other damages.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


There are many diverse elements of damages in personal injury claims, including disfigurement to be certain, but more importantly how all of this affected the individual. But we're jumping the gun to fast forward to damages without first looking at the facts and circumstances underlying the establishment of damages. Without that, we don't get to damages. Here's why: [Blue Link Below]

Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.


It sounds like you filed a complaint. Best bet is to get a lawyer involved.


No need to amend your complaint as any claim for disfigurement would be included in your claimed damages.


Disfigurement is claimed as part of the plaintiff's general damages (pain, suffering, inconvenience, disfigurement, embarrassment, humiliation, etc.).

If the plaintiff is a candidate for scar revision or reduction, then those medical procedures should be included in their special damages (those damages which are quantifiable).

Disfigurement and scar revision do not need to be specifically pled -- they are included in the portions of the complaint alleging general and special damages.

Please see the link below for further discussion with more detailed examples of general and special damages (including scarring)


It should already be contained within the language of your complaint under language such as , "resulting in substantial injury to the plaintiff'. talk with your attorney for further clarification.