Skip to main content

Can dependents get Social Security after getting Green card?

Columbus, OH |

Hi There,

Can a previously F-2 dependent apply for a social security number based on receiving a green card? Please note that my dependent has not been working, and is not going to work very soon.

Your response is appreciated!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


All Legal Permanent Residents may request a Social Security Number. Just go down to your local office to apply. To check what documentation you will need you should check the SSA's website.

Representing clients throughout the US and around the world: (513) 549-4420. We cannot provide legal advice or recommendations unless you retain our law firm to represent you. No attorney/client relationship will begin until you sign a representation agreement and make a retainer payment to open a case with us. Any information found here is general in nature and should not be relied upon in individual cases.


Hi there:
IF she has a green card she can work, engage in business and self-employment at will.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Anyone who has a permanent resident card can, and should, apply for a Social Security Number, whether or not the person intends to work. Go to the nearest Social Security Office and apply.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


If your dependent now has a green card, then s/he can apply for a social security card regardless of whether s/he is working. A social security number is also needed for many other things.

Andrew M. Bramante, Rosner Partners, 216-771-5588. Free telephone consultation. You should always consult with an experienced immigration attorney to make certain that the advice you received is appropriate for your particular immigration case.


All permanent residents of the US may apply for a social security card.


Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer