Skip to main content

Can DACA applicants practice Law in California /Immigration

Los Angeles, CA |

Hello, I have a big question Can Daca Applicants practice law in California I'm attending college next year and I would sure love to know. I hope that i'm not asking too much but how is the job market for attorneys right now.? My dream is to become an immigration attorney.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6

Best Answer

Yes, California Supreme Court came up with a decision that an illegal alien from Mexico (who grew up in the state) can practice law in CA.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


This is not an immigration law quesiton, except to the extent that to work one needs employment authorization.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.


Yes, you can become an attorney, but unless you get work authorization, no firm can legally hire you.
See the link for the story on Sergio Garcia.


One of the attorneys above provided a link to a recent case. It was a subject of much debate, and a review of it will answer most of your questions.
Keep your work authorization current, and stay abreast of what happens, if anything, with immigration reform. Pay particular attention, of course, to what the government is proposing to do with the DACA program.
I'm glad you are taking advantage of the opportunity. Best of luck!


Congratulations on wanting to seek such an opportunity and best of luck in your endeavor. Based on recent precedent, you can become a licensed attorney in California! As has been stated, you will need the proper work authorization in order to work for a law firm. However, that shouldn't stop you from the possibility of opening your own practice which remains an option for you. The job market has its ups and downs but with persistence and motivation, you can make it! Si se puede!


In California, yes. In Florida, based upon a Florida Supreme Court decision issued today, the answer is no.

While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation. Review Mr. Devore's Avvo Profile for more information about his expertise in immigration law and how to contact him to discuss your case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer