Skip to main content

Can creditors garnish my long term disability payments? If so, would it matter if I filed bankruptcy?

Snellville, GA |

I had been paying my debts until I was diagnosed with onset alzheimer's and as a result , social security concluded that I could no longer work, and I was placed on social security disability. Then I also got long term disability through money that was being taken out of my paycheck while I was working..

I forgot to say that my social security disaility payments are not enough for me to live on, so I wonder if it's because I'm receiving the Long Term Disability. I guess I need to find out if the LTD is taken away, if the my SSD payments would increase.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If the money was put into a 401(k) or an IRA, no, they cannot. The advantage of filing bankruptcy would be that the creditors will stop harassing you with calls and letters..

If you found my answer useful, please check it as "helpful" here on Avvo. Answers to questions on Avvo are for general informational purposes only. Proper preparation of a bankruptcy case involves many factors and variables, and may lead to a different answer than that given here when all the facts are taken into consideration. The fact that a general question was answered on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship; that only happens when both you and our firm sign a formal contract and a retainer is paid and collected.


Your social security is safe from garnishment.

However, some private disability payments may be subject to garnishment.

Just to complicate things more, when and if you collect on retirement, some plans also may be subject to garnishment in Georgia (see for one complex court case dealing with this).

Note that if a creditor gets a judgment it might seize bank accounts and other assets. To do a garnishment, a creditor must first sue you and win judgement.

It would be wise to see a lawyer to examine your finances and determine if bankruptcy is an option (if you qualify, bankruptcy will wipe out many debts) or if you have reason to worry at all. Feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 for a consultation.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


Non-governmental creditors cannot get your social security.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer