Skip to main content

Can Creditors Continue to Call me after Chapt 7 Bankruptcy?

Austell, GA |

My Chapter 7 Bankruptcy was offically discharged TODAY and a collection agency called me and my place of employment stating that they were calling me to verifiy income to begin garnishing my wages. I informed the Rep that I had filed Chapt 7 that it was dicharged as of today and gave him my case number. The Rep said that I owed $3200, however I put $2000 on my bankruptcy schedule form because that was the amount that I believed that I owed. Since my bankruptcy was discharged today, can the creditor come after me and garnish my wages for the $1200?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The creditor is violating the bankruptcy stay as well as the bankruptcy discharge by contacting you. The amount you indicated you owed on your bankruptcy schedule is only an estimate of the debt - you are not married to the amount!

If the creditor sues you, be sure to respond with information about your bankruptcy. Of course, if the calls continue, speak with your attorney about pursuing the creditor for damages due to the violations under bankruptcy law.

Hope this perspective helps!


You filed Bankruptcy to get rid of debt and gain a "Fresh Start" but the creditors won't leave you alone even though you told them you filed! Here is what you should do! 1
Record the Communication
When you file Bankruptcy you are protected by a statute called the "Automatic Stay". Section "362" of the Bankruptcy Code is a 15 page statute that basically says that 1)No entity or person; 2) may commit any overt act (i.e. do anything) to; 3) gain possession or control of...4) property of the estate. All of your property is part of the bankruptcy so if someone violates your rights and communicates with you after you filed the case make sure you write down all of the information you can get from them. Name, real address and mailing address, website, corporate name and phone number and anything else your attorney needs to sue them!2
Check and Make Sure they are Listed!
Next, and before you contact your attorney, check the mailing matrix and especially Schedule F to make sure the creditor is listed! If the creditor is not listed then let your attorney know. The creditor will probably have to be added to the case!3
If the Creditor is Listed
If the creditor is listed write down a summary of the communication. Did the creditor threaten you? What did they say? Did you tell them you had filed Bankruptcy and did you give them the case number? How did all of this make you feel? Once you provide all of this information to your attorney they may have a basis to sue the creditor to enforce your rights! You spent a lot of time, effort, money and emotional capital to finally decide to file Bankruptcy. DO NOT allow abusive collection agencies or creditors take away the relief you felt during or after the case ended. Make a record and determine your rights!

Post bankruptcy discharge the same facts give rise to litigation because you are protected under section 524, or the discharge Injunction. Do all the things stated here and contact your attorney. You also have a right to go after the offender if you gave them actual notice of the bankruptcy and they ignored you.

Good Luck!

REQUEST: Please give this answer a "thumbs up"(below) if you find it valuable.

Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted in the States of New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts only and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to those three States. This advice is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation. Facts and laws change and these possible changes will affect the advice provided here. Consult an attorney in your locale before you act on any of this advice. You should not rely on this advice alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney client relationship. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author only and the fact that he has worked as an Assistant District Attorney; State Supreme Court Clerk; Special Assistant United States Attorney (Hawaii); Assistant Cornell University Counsel or Judge Advocate, United States Marine Corps should not be relied upon to assume that these statements reflect the policy of these organizations.


The lender may not contact you. This is a time you need your lawyer. He will get them to stop and may even collect damages from them if they continue to contact you.