Skip to main content

Can California EDD have my wages Garnished if I live in the state of Pennsylvania?

Uniontown, PA |

Ca EDD just filed lien in Orange County Ca for payroll taxes from a business that closed in 1992. I moved out of Ca shortly after filing BK in 1992. I believed everything was discharged and was shocked when I was not notified of this debt in 11/2012. Over 20 yrs old. Now they just filed Lien and are sending statement letter with interest and penalties over 60K. Original debt was around 7K in 1992 according to statement they sent. I live in Pa for last 18 yrs. Can they garnish my wages here? I would like to settle if they will accept to original debt. What do I do? I cant afford 60k that's for sure.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Better consult with a BK attorney quickly to evaluate how to challenge this or seek a reasonable settlement it the statute of limitations has been tolled and/or the debt was not dischargeable,

My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained. Please click "helpful" or "best answer" if my answer added any value or add a "comment" if you have more info for me to help you get a better answer.


Pennsylvania does not permit wage garnishment, except under very limited circumstances. the excepts include support and taxes. I suggest you immediately consult with an attorney in your area who regularly represents individual debtors. I also suggest that if you have any accounts in banks with offices in California that you move them to a bank without branches in California. If your bank has a California branch, you might find yourself in a position where the garnishment is issued in California, served in California, and what you thought was your Pennsylvania account, frozen which may force you into litigating the issue in California instead of Pennsylvania.

Good Luck!!!

Mr. Geisenberger is a Pennsylvania-licensed attorney only. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation. Contacting Jacques H. Geisenberger, Jr., P.C.,does not constitute legal representation, nor is any information you provide protected by attorney-client privilege.