Skip to main content

Can boyfriend's mom take my child away?

Littleton, CO |

I'm a young mom, with a three year old daughter, work two jobs, and pay for everything. I don't get along with my daughter's grandmother, which is my boyfriend's mom. She's always threatening to take my daughter away from me. Is there any way she could? It really stresses me out that she would even say this.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Probably not. There are certain laws that apply to grandparent "rights." She could threaten to call human services before she could "take your daughter away from you." As long as your daughter has her basic needs met and she is not in any danger then you probably have nothing to worry about. There are some situations in which a grandparent has rights to visitation.

Pitler and Associates, P.C. (303) 758-2221. We would love to help in your legal needs. Serving both the Denver Metro Area and the mountain counties of Eagle, Lake and Summit. @KTarrinEsq (Twitter) The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

David Littman

David Littman


A grandparent only has standing to ask for grandparent time when there is a "custody" case or a parent has died. Another exception would be if a child is being cared for by the grandparent. So, the woman can threaten all she wants and you can't control that, but it is like a tiger without teeth. She may look scary but has no bite!


No. She does not have any standing to do so. So, it is an idle or fake threat. Only you and the father of the child have parenting rights. The only party that can intervene is the Department of Social Services Child Protection Services Unit if they believe that the children are being neglected or abused.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.


She has no chance.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer