Can anyone please direct me to a website where I could check for a specific non profit org in the state of Wisconsin.

Milwaukee, WI |

I am suspecting that someone has falsely claiming that they have opened one, but they are just collecting money without being authorized.

You may want to check the Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions (DFI) website. Good luck.

If they are a corporation you might want to check with your Secretary of State website to see if they are registered as a corporation & obtain information accordingly. I presume WI has that reuirement, but I am not sure since I am a California attorney.

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

Why not just call the Wis DFI: Office Hours: 7:45 am - 4:30 pm
Telephone: (608) 261-9555. They can probably tell you.

Robert Bruce Kopelson

Robert Bruce Kopelson

Also check with IRS. http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Search-for-Charities

I will, thanks so much for this info. And if I can not find info on that NPO whom should I go to to request an investigation as to how he is collecting his donations.

Robert Bruce Kopelson

Robert Bruce Kopelson

Ask the WDFI how they handle this and possibly the IRS. You are saying that they dont have tax exempt status, but are representing to the public that they do?

Well, that person has tendency to defraud. Having said that, there is no where that his non governmental organisation is present online except that he has opened a Facebook page claiming that non profit org in his name and he has opened a page on his personal website with a section of "donation" where he is accepting donations from people. So basically, not having an official NPO, he is accepting donations on his website...is this legal to simply accept donations or not. Would you say accepting donations is legal or not if you have not set up officially a non profit or even charity.

Robert Bruce Kopelson

Robert Bruce Kopelson

This isnt my area of expertise. I dont think in general that there is a restriction form someone having a website or taking out an ad asking people to make donations or send money to them. If they are fraudulently misrepresenting, then there are probably laws against this. There could be both state and federal laws. If he says he is non profit charity that donates to animal shelters, and he doesnt do that, or doesnt file the reqd paper work acctg with the state or feds, that probably is a violation of law. If someone solicited me for a charitable donation for cancer research, for example, and I donated, but later found out that it wasnt a charitable organization and no money was contributed to cancer research, I suppose I could sue for fraud. You might want to talk to the state atty general office and the US atty office about this fellow.

http://www.wdfi.org/corporations/