Skip to main content

Can Any one fill out an I-864 Affidavit of support Form?

Richmond, VA |

I'm having truble finding someone tha can fillout the I-864 form for my husband, i have already filled out a form but do not qualify. I have a friend tha is a US Citizen but, he filled for bankruptcy last year, can he fill it out ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Yes, any US Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident ... with sufficient income showing on their IRS 1040 forms, can be a joint-co-sponsor.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


There is not enough information to answer your question. We would need to know more information about the friend's income, tax returns, and other financial information.

I suggest that you consult with an immigration attorney to determine whether this person would qualify as a joint sponsor.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


Even if you don't qualify, you must complete an I-864 and submit it with the I-485. As well, any LPR or U.S. citizen may co-sponsor you if they meet the income requirements.


I agree with my colleagues. Any U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident can be a joint sponsor. The fact that he filed for bankruptcy does not necessarily eliminate the person. There are other and more important factors. I'd recommend that you at least set up a consultation with an immigration attorney to evaluate whether or not this person can be an appropriate sponsor. The attorney would ask some important questions and might want to review this person's tax returns, W-2s/1099s, paystubs etc...

The statement above does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is intended as general information only and it is not a substitute for legal advice. You should consult with a licensed attorney to discuss the specific facts and circumstances of your case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer