Skip to main content

Can annulment be changed into divorce?

Los Angeles, CA |

My spouse recently filed for annulment of our 5mth old wedding before we actually talked about it and it now seems it will be in the interest of both parties to go for a divorce, i am yet to be served but i know i will be in a few days.
My question is can the annulment be terminated and changed into a divorce and what do we have to do?


+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The petition can be re-filed, checking the "amended" box and changing it to a divorce.

Michael is in San Jose, California and can be reached at 408-295-4232 or at Consultation fees, rates and retainers vary based on need and ability to pay.


You can file an Amended Petition for Dissolution. At least in Orange County, a dissolution is easier to get than an annulment.


No need to terminate it just amend you petition to dissolution. So print another petition mark it amended and mark dissolution.

Note this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on. Each situation is fact specific and court specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer