Skip to main content

Can an out of state traffic ticket be discharged in a bankruptcy?

Norman, OK |

In 2009, I was the victim of a "Swoop and squat" accident. I live in Oklahoma and the accident was in FL. I was injured and given the ticket in the hospital. Car was totaled and though I was released from hospital, I was not in good enough condition to drive for several weeks. We (children and I) were forced to stay in a hotel until I was well enough to drive. I missed the time to contest the "careless driving" ticket, due to being out of it for several weeks. I began receiving "collection letters" from a collection agency for this ticket. Am I able to discharge this ticket in a bankruptcy? I have received "collection letters" from two different collection agencies. Is there a statue of limitations on collecting on a traffic ticket from FL, where it won't come back to "bite me", if I can't


+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You should consult a bankruptcy attorney, but in NJ, they are usually not discahrgeable.

The previous information is solely for informational purposes only. If you have further questions, please contact an attorney in your area for more specific answers. Responding to your question in no way creates an attorney/client relationship, and none of the specific guarantees of privacy exist. If you have found this information helpful, kindly check the "helpful" box.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer