Can an officer tow your car until they obtain a search warrent to search the vehicle, with no cause for a search?

Tacoma, WA |

what type of attorney would i need to assist in this issue?

Best Answer

Generally speaking, no; however, these are really two separate issues. An officer may tow your car for an unrelated reason and then obtain a search warrant later while it's in impound.. You should speak with a criminal defense lawyer in your area.

You should be looking for a criminal defense attorney.
Good Luck

If this answer was helpful, please mark as helpful below. Please be sure to indicate the best answer Only If and until you and I sign an Agreement for Legal Services, I am not your attorney. These answers are provided for informational and/or novelty purposes

The answer to your question is of course no, but I take it the officer will have a different opinion on whether there was "cause" for a search. Boyfriends that drive without licenses and have a criminal past don't typically tell their girlfriends that just got their car towed because of their actions that the officer had cause.

Its funny you say that, yet he's been my boyfriend for 15 years..im having a hard time getting legal advice instead im getting relationship advice thats not needed. Thanks anyway.

Jacob Brian Smith

Jacob Brian Smith

You are misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm saying that 99% of the time, a judge is not going to say that an officer had "no cause for a search." What are the odds that your boyfriend that was already committing a crime is purely 100% innocent where there wasn't just "little cause" but NO CAUSE at all? Probable cause is a legal term of art and it is highly doubtful there was not probable cause here. You will understand what we are saying in the next few months I guess.

The only crime he was commiting was DWB, hence the question I am asking, besides not turning his blinker on he was denied the seatch because my boyfriend was doing nothing wrong