Skip to main content

Can an international student who is 17 be adopt by a US citizen?

Haverford, PA |

My parents are fine and they agree with this adoption but they will still paying for my tuition. My host mom wants to adopt me, she will also come back to China with me this summer for visit.

+ Read More

Filed under: Immigration Family law
Attorney answers 2


Beware that once terminated, the natural parents aren't obligated to continue paying for your tuition. I encourage you to speak with a family law attorney near you when possible.

NOTE: The use of the Internet for communications with the firm or this attorney will not establish an attorney-client relationship and messages containing confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent.


If I am interpreting your question correctly, you're from China and you believe your parents are willing to have you adopted by an American citizen? Mr. Miller is correct - once your biological parents' rights are terminated in conjunction with an adoption, then are no longer your legal parents and have no financial or other obligation to you or rights to you. I can't imagine that this is what they actually want. Are you looking for a fast track to citizenship? I suggest that you post this as an immigration question to see if you receive any other responses.

Be sure to click Best Answer if you found this helpful. Disclaimer: Please note that this response does not in any way an attorney-client relationship between Kathryn L. Hilbush and the recipient. My responses are general in nature. They do not constitute legal advice. You are advised to consult an attorney regarding this and any other legal matters.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer