Skip to main content

Can an illegal immigrant travel among and out of the US?

Las Vegas, NV |

My friend wants to leave the USA. He entered the country illegally at age 10, he's 21 now, still no papers. He wants to fly from Las Vegas (where he resides now) to Dominican Republic (1 stop in Atlanta). He recently got his mexican passport and a mexican CID card issued by the mexican consulate in Las Vegas. He doesn't have any sort of ID issued by US entities, no american visa. Can he travel without any risk of being deported? He isnt planning to come back so returning to the USA isnt an issue here.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


He should be able to leave. He should speak with an experienced immigration attorney before he leaves to evaluate possible options in the future.

Law Office of Luis A. Guerra (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.


Does he have (or need) a visa to go to Dominican Republic? That's the only possible snafu I see. Otherwise the US wouldn't try to deport someone who is leaving anyway.



No, only people from certain countries require a visa, and Mexico is not one of them.


As long as he has a valid passport from his home country, and a visa of his destination country, if he needs one, he will be allowed to board and leave the U.S.

However, he must be aware that he will not be allowed to return to the U.S. for at least 10 years, even if he would have a basis for a visa.

Until he boards his plane in Atlanta, there is a risk that he may be arrested if he gets into a checkpoint by border patrol.

Wolf W. Kaufmann
Southern California Immigration Attorney

No client-attorney relationship is being created by this posting. Please contact an attorney with questions about your case.