Skip to main content

Can an ex-husband get a certified copy of his ex-wife's death certificate in the state of California?

Creston, CA |

My ex-wife recently passed away and I was contacted by LAPCU Federal Credit union. I am listed as the primary (1st) beneficiary on her IRA account.The credit union was requesting me to: (1) provide a certified copy of the death certificate, (2) complete an "IRA withdrawl statement", (3) complete a "request to close account" form asking where I wanted the money sent/transferred to. I was told by her daughters that I cannot get a certified copy.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Ask county records. They will usually permit you to do so in certain situations.