Skip to main content

Can an employer TERMINATE an employee Via text message?

Agawam, MA |

I was Fired via text message because I did a no call no show due to a family member passing? Is it ok for the employer to terminate me with out speaking to me to find out the reason why I did not show up to work? I am not an at-will employee.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


It depends but if you are an employee at will and no other means of
protection, then yes

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.


If you are not an at-will employee then the answer to your question lies in the terms and conditions statement of documents that govern your employment (contract, union agreement, employee handbook, etc.). Generally, there is some remedy available to you within those documents such as grievance procedures or progressive discipline schedules that must be exhausted first. If no such remedy exits then proceed on a breach of contract theory with the help of an attorney, if you have language on your side.

This is not legal advice and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. You should speak to an attorney for further information.


Generally speaking, Massachusetts is an at will jurisdiction meaning that you can quit for any or no reason and your employer can fire you for no reason, unless you have a contract stating the terms of your employment for a specific time period. If you do not have a contract, you may have some recourse if you were discriminated against or otherwise, but generally it would be your responsibility to inform your employer if you cannot work a particular day. You may want to try talking to your supervisor and explain what happened. However, if you have such a contract, you may want to review the terms of that contract with an eye towards grounds for termination or bereavement leave and you should also consult an employment attorney as soon as possible to determine what rights or remedies you may have. Best of luck.

Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. (It lets us know how we are doing.) Attorney Kremer is licensed to practice in Massachusetts. Please visit her Avvo profile for contact information. In accordance with Avvo guidelines, the following disclaimer applies to all responses given in this forum: The above is NOT legal advice, and is NOT intended to be legal advice. No Attorney-Client relationship is created through the above answer.


If you are not an at will employee, you should look at your employee handbook to see what it describes as a termination procedure and causes for termination. Your employment contract may specify this as well. Speak with your human resources department or union rep to see what recourse you may have at this point. Good luck.

This is intended for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The content of this site may not reflect the most current legal developments. Do not consider this site to be a substitute for obtaining legal advice from a qualified attorney licensed in your state or country, and do not act or refrain from acting on the basis of the information contained herein. I am not responsible for any errors or omission in the content of this site or for damages arising from the use of this site under any circumstances. This does not create an attorney-client relationship.