Skip to main content

Can an attorney explain how an individual can prove bonafides of the marriage to I.J. if he/she failed to do so for USCIS.

New York, NY |

The situation is as follows: there are no joint documents with the ex spouse to present to the USCIS besides a few affidavits from the friends of the immigrant. I know that the IJ gives you a chance to prove yourself, but if there are no joint documents for the USCIS, for which the I-751 is denied, then what is left to show to I.J. besides the same affidavits. Can you please explain what other things could be presented to the I.J. besides joint docs with the former spouse? I am mainly looking to know what non joint docs could be submitted. Please name few things besides joint accounts, taxes, etc.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


I definitely answer your question. All i would need is your entire file, a few meetings with you and your file, and an opportunity to meeting you and your wife, and a trip to immigration court to review the record of proceedings.

You need to hire a lawyer. AVVO is not the solution.

Joshua Goldstein, Esq

Immigration & Nationality Lawyers

Law Offices of Joshua L Goldstein, PC
6 Beacon Street, # 220
Boston, Massachusetts 02108
Tel: 617.722.0005
Fax: 617.722.0015


You need to make an appointment with an immigration attorney. I'm afraid without seeing your entire document, we will not be able to help you.

The information on this website is not intended to be legal advice.


Your question calls for legal advice. An answer depends on the specifics of your case. You should schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer.

IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website:


Yes Attorney can explain. What attorney cannot do is do that on AVVO.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


As my colleagues have noted, what will work in your case depends on its specific facts. There are many ways to establish the bona fides of a marriage. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation. Call +1-561-478-5353 to schedule a consultation with Mr. Devore.