Skip to main content

Can an apartment owner legally add a $501.00 fee for early termination of lease after I have lived here for 7 yrs. ?

Pasadena, TX |

When I went to sign my lease agreement the owner had added a $501.00 early termination fee on my lease. I have lived here for 7 yrs., owned a home for 38 yrs. prior to moving to this senior apartment complex and had no thoughts of moving.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

If you were signing a new lease agreement or renewal, then the landlord could add new terms at that time. If you did not want to agree to the new terms you could refuse to sign and try to negotiate. But, if the landlord does not relent, then there will be no new lease and your old lease will expire. Parties are free to amend, modify, or make new contracts.
However, to make sure the landlord had the ability to do this at this time, you should go see a real estate attorney to review your circumstances, your current lease, and the proposed lease.

If this response was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. The response provided herein is for informational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice, nor does it establish or intend to establish an attorney-client relationship. You should always speak with a licensed attorney regarding your legal rights before taking or not taking any particular action.


The lease agreement generally controls, but I find it hard to believe that the lease agreement was for 7 years. Moreover, it seems that the early termination fee is quite significant under these circumstances. I recommend you take the agreement to a local lawyer and find out if you have a case of refusing to pay the lease. Good luck.

Know YOUR Rights. Take Action Now. CALL 855-648-4695. Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any statements are made for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. Mr. Crockett is licensed in Texas in Illinois only.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer