Skip to main content

Can an adult ( 21 ) PR in California who was adopted in Belize when he was 6 by US citizens get his citizenship through them

San Bernardino, CA |

He was adopted by his grandparents (grandfather us citizen by birth, grandmother by marriage) in 1997. Brought here in 2003 and went into foster care in 2005. He is unable to locate them now. I would like to support him getting citizenship but we are unsure if he, due to being adopted before age 16, is entitled to it through them. I will be adopting him as an adult anyway, but would like to make sure if anything happens to me he is taken care of.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Citizenship or permanent residence?

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Please see the answer to your other question.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


From your question, a few things are unclear. Is he already a legal permanent resident? if so, for how long? If he is already an LPR, he may be eligible to naturalize (become a citizen).

His situation is curious though. I'd suggest his sit down with an immigration attorney, or schedule a phone consultation, so that he can fully explain his current circumstances and his goals. Many attorneys, myself included, offer a free consultation. It's a good way to get a better understanding of what to expect. Good luck.

Any and all responses to this and any other questions are intended for basic informational purposes only and are not legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer