Skip to main content

Can an 18 yr old resident of Tennessee marry in Illinois under the state laws of Illinois??

Winchester, TN |

So it's a K1 visa thing and it turns out that in order to get married in Tennessee, my girlfriend has to be 21 or over to marry without any parental consent. But she's 18 and her parents don't approve of us so that won't work. So we are planning to get married in Illinois cuz the state laws there don't require her to give any parental consent cuz she's 18. So basically my question is - Can we get married in Illinois when she's been a resident of Tennessee since she was born?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Where did you hear she must be 21 to marry in TN? You do need proof of SSN (card or license with SSN on it). If she is not a US citizen and has no SSN she would need a valid Passport and US visa or resident alien card. I see no requirement for parental approval if both parties are 18 or over. You also need proof of date of birth (birth certificate or gov issued ID with DOB). Call your county clerk and ask.

As for IL law, if you still believe you need the answer you should repost this question and list IL as your location so as to be viewed by IL attorneys.

This answer does not constitute legal advice nor form an attorney client relationship. I am not your lawyer. If you have a legal issue in Tennessee you may contact me for a free consult.


Requirements for marriage differ from state to state and county to county. Most counties' probate courts or license bureaus have websites that explain exactly what the requirements are for marriage. I would check those out - whether TN or IL.

Andrew M. Bramante, Rosner Partners, 216-771-5588. Free telephone consultation. You should always consult with an experienced immigration attorney to make certain that the advice you received is appropriate for your particular immigration case.


Yes. Remember - 90 days. Any state will do.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer