Skip to main content

Can Adult Protective Services revoke a POA?

Austin, TX |

My aunt is in a nursing facility and my sister is POA (we are his only family left). She recently asked me to help sort out his finances because she has never been good at that and I work in the medical field and deal with insurance and Medicare/Medicaid. She signed a consent form with the facility. When I asked for his financial records they told me that the consent form was not valid and to call APS. When I spoke to APS they told me the POA had been revoked due to my sister exploiting my uncle. I do believe that has happened and would like to know if APS has the capacity to revoke a POA. A lawyer told me that they would have to go through specific legal channels. I would like to apply for guardianship, but the lawyer told me I needed to find out if APS revoked the POA legally.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I think your first step is to consult an attorney who can figure out for him/herself whether APS has legally revoked the POA. So I would certainly suggest consulting with a second attorney about this matter. To invalidate a power of attorney would require court action unless the principal is competent and has properly revoked the power of attorney him/herself. Such court action would require either a filing for a guardianship, a petition to remove the sister as the fiduciary or some similar legal procedure and I don't think it would be a secret that this matter was underway (or at least not a secret to your sister).

My guess and that's all it is --- is that there has been some discussion between someone at the nursing facility and someone at the APS office. I do not think the POA has been revoked but someone has clearly said something that is making the nursing home refuse to honor the POA.

It is not at all clear how involved you really are in this matter but I would certainly consider it a "red flag" that your sister has "recently asked [you] to help sort out his finances" and there is also a potential APS allegation of financial exploitation...

I would strongly consider getting a second legal opinion before doing anything here, particularly before assisting the sister with any transactions until you have more information about what is really going on.

It is impossible to give specific answers to questions without meeting and fully discussing all of the potential issues that may not be addressed by your question. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information and are not legal advice. Only after a thorough personal consultation could specific legal advice be given. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. To enter such a relationship you and I would need to consult in person and form a mutually agreeable written contract of engagement. The answer(s) provided in this forum is intended to educate you and point to issues for you to raise in a consultation with a lawyer of your choosing who is appropriately competent in the field of law that your question concerns and who is duly licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where you live and/or where the events giving rise to your question occurred. You should not take any action that might affect your claim(s) without first seeking the professional opinion of a licensed attorney. There are often strict deadlines for filing suit, responding to a suit or making an appeal and you need to personally consult with an attorney to make sure that you understand and meet those deadlines.

Kelly Scott Davis

Kelly Scott Davis


Very good answer.


I concur with Attorney Tate Davis' advice on getting a second opinion and would add that as a practical matter, since the NH is refusing to honor the POA, the only recourse may be to petition the court to have a guardian/conservator appointed.


I agree that you should seek legal counsel regarding the advisability of obtaining guardianship/conservatorship in this situation. I also concur with the advise of getting with an attorney prior to assisting your sister with anything. Good luck.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting.


I practice in PA, don't know TX law but normally only the principal (uncle?) can revoke or a court can revoke a POA. Not sure if APS went to court and revoked it. Talk to a local lawyer there about your options-another POA or a guardianship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer