Skip to main content

Can a usa citizen continue on a welfare program in new York while filling for his wife that's abroad?he has a co-sponcer ,

New York, NY |

does he have to cancel the welfare before he starts filling?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes, you can. However, the purpose of the Co-sponsor is to insure that your wife does not become a public charge which is why the CS files the I-864 Affidavit of Support. It guarantees that your wife will not become a public charge for 40 work quarters.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.



J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


I agree with Mr. Smith's response, that you can be on welfare, as long you have an affidavit of support from a qualified co-sponsor.

Madhu Kalra Kalra Law Firm 23720 Arlington Avenue, Ste 5 Torrance, Ca 90501 (310) 325-9012

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer