Skip to main content

Can a unwed mother move out of state without father's consent?

Phoenix, AZ |

My sister has 3 kids and is currently living with the babies father's mother. The father is unemployed and has no money, he has blown thru her life savings and she is now looking for work to support her kids. She has one month old twins and a 14 month old, and needs to get away from this loser of a man but he continues to tell her that she can go but not with the kids. What are her legal rights and what would he have to do to stop her. I have offered to take her in and help her out with the kids while she gets back on her feet but she lives in NJ and I live in AZ can she just leave??

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


I am not licensed in Arizona, but in California. Has paternity been legally established? Are there any court orders? She may be able to move if there are no court orders. However, she MUST talk to an Arizona attorney to get specific information about her rights.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client relationship or privilege between you and the attorney responding. Do not use this or any answer by the responding attorney as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney practicing in the area in which your question pertains with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law frequently changes and will be different from state to state. The response provided above is general in nature, and is based solely on the facts provided in the question. Fact not included in the question may have a bearing on the response.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer